Bioinformatics: DNA Read Mapping
The pursuit for mapping the human genome, from a physical and a functional standpoint, was a complex, ambitious and certainly costly project. However, no task was too big for the Human Genome Project (HGP). Among the main goals of the HGP was to develop new, better and cheaper tools to identify new genes and to understand their function.
- Initial project was funded by the US government, and costed about 100 million dollars.
- The use case for such is directly linked to cost.
- Initial use case was used to understand how humans differ from other life forms.
- It’s As the cost per genome map decreases, the net of possible questions to be answered increases.
- It’s currently used to identify differences within the human specie.
The cost per genome is dropping exponentially. Important applications introduced as price decreases.